Management of end-to-end application solutions, allowing companies to concentrate on innovation
Integrated web-based solution to serve thousands of operators in the energy market
Portal, Intranet and Business Intelligence solutions for more efficient processes
The re-organization and re-engineering of a rich and complex application system
A web-based information system able to manage applications, services and a complex and structured quantity of personal data and activities related to a large network of operators. Thus, an Application Lifecycle Management project, extremely reliable in a B2B context, where the main players are energy market operators.
This is the challenge taken up by Lutech and launched by an important Energy Regulatory Authority, whose action is directed, for all operators – the so-called “regulated parties” subject to regulation – with regard to electricity, gas, water services, district heating, and waste. An action designed to ensure the usability and distribution of services in a homogeneous manner throughout the country, to define adequate service quality levels, to prepare certain tariff systems and to promote the protection of the interests of users and consumers.
The objective shared with the customer was to re-engineer the entire web-based information system dedicated to “regulated parties”, the Authority’s institutional portal and Intranet from an Open Source perspective.
A particularly complex project, therefore, because of the number of applications and the parties involved, and the amount of data to be monitored. In addition to the information system, a level 1 and 2 application Help Desk service was set up for functional requests to support the tens of thousands of qualified external operators and the internal operators of the Authority.
Development areas and implemented services
The web-based services implemented by Lutech include three development areas: an Extranet, an Intranet and a Business Intelligence platform.
In particular: the Extranet is comprised of a portal, master data management, and a data collection system with access restricted to operators. For the Intranet, on the other hand, a series of interactive services and web support applications was created, with access restricted to staff. Finally, for the Business Intelligence component, some advanced systems were created to process the data provided by the operators to allow the client to carry out its institutional function of regulation and supervision.
The new platform includes the following macro-components:
An authentication layer, created using Apereo’s CAS solution, to centrally manage users and provide a Single Sign On service with the support of strong authentication through CNS (National Service Card).
all managed by the CAS solution with SSO (Single Sign On), developed with Java Open Source J2EE technology using the Spring, Hibernate, WebFlow and Bootstrap frameworks. The applications use Oracle DB and are integrated with the SAS and Alfresco suite.
were created through adoption of the ECM Alfresco platform, implementing a series of customizations to integrate the information system applications and introduce the management of specific internal processes (such as travel management) into the Intranet.
are divided into: programming and activity planning system and document approval, staff management system, complaint management sanctioning procedures, mission and attendance management systems, institutional address book
based on SAS technology, which allows employees of the Authority to design, create, publish, view and download reports based mainly on information derived from both data collections and other sources where it is necessary to supplement the collected data.
Web-based applications for the management of the information system
Data management for monitoring clients and managing relationships and contracts
The numerous applications developed according to the above indications deal with master data, “regulated parties” – i.e. B2B customers that generate the information – and activities. In addition to these, there are those concerning data collection and the consequent monitoring dashboards. In particular:
- The purpose of master data is to collect purely personal information of the regulated parties, as well as information on their activities in the areas of gas distribution, sale of electricity and gas, distribution of water and district heating.
- Data collections are based on master data and have the purpose of collecting more specific data of the regulated parties, which the authority needs to carry out its inspection functions, establish any penalties, revise regulations and resolutions.
- Dashboards are intended for employees of the Authority to manage, view, configure and correct the data contained in the master data and data collections and to communicate with regulated parties on the data provided.
On the other hand, the systems developed for the Intranet allow different functions:
- The planning system deals with the management of the Authority’s strategic and operational goals, Board activity planning and the process of drafting and approving documents
- and resolutions thanks to planning and collaboration tools, integration with SharePoint, and digital signature functions.
- The staff management system, for master data, organizational and career details, management and allocation of assets, and comprising tools for simulating organizational changes.
- Complaint management deals with complaints submitted by citizens in relation to water services. Each stage of the complaint involves notification to the relevant directorates and collaborative tools.
- The flow of sanctioning procedures, of workflows for requesting and approving travel and the cycle of recording, validating and accounting for expenses incurred.
- Finally, functions for organizing events, sending communications and accreditations via barcode.
The Business Intelligence system implemented by Lutech has also facilitated and accelerated analysis and management of the large amount of data, allowing analysis and results to be viewed on the dashboard, reducing the use of individual productivity tools.
Ultimately, Lutech’s project, carried out as a “Temporary Grouping of Companies” with the provider of the hosting infrastructure and connectivity services, has allowed the spread of a greater analytical culture at the company, leading the Authority towards a modern data-driven vision.
Lutech end-to-end solutions
Application and systems management activity linked to the entire database lifecycle for data-driven companies
End-to-end ERP projects to aid process innovation and personalization of the supply chain
Technologies for optimizing the management of the entire product lifecycle for the Smart Factory of the future
Projects and solutions to enable automation and digitization of processes in the Industry 4.0 era